Helping You Navigate Troubled Times With Compassion And Understanding
Jamie B. Sexton
At first meeting it will become apparent that Jamie Sexton is a compassionate, straight forward lawyer who has your best interest in mind. With over 20 years experience representing clients in family law matters in Richmond and the surrounding areas, she is tenacious problem solver and you will feel confident knowing she is on your side.
Jamie completed her undergraduate education at North Carolina State University earning a B.A. in History, Magna Cum Laude, and then went on to graduate from the University of Richmond School of Law in 2002. After graduating law school she worked alongside some of the most respected family law attorneys in the area until eventually founding her own firm in 2007. For several years Jamie also served as a Guardian ad litem for children in custody cases, which meant that she worked closely with children, the parties, all counsel on the cases, therapists, custody evaluators, co-parenting coaches and many others that often are involved in custody matters. This gave her insight into all facets of those matters and experience that is invaluable in those cases.
Jamie has been an active member of the Bar Association of the City of Richmond since graduating law school and has served on and chaired numerous committees including the Bench Bar Planning committee, Continuing Legal Education committee and Publications committee. She is also actively involved in the Metro Women's Bar Association, Metro Richmond Family Law Bar Association and Virginia Trial Lawyers Association. She continues active involvement with the University of Richmond School of Law serving on the Young Graduates Board, participating in mock interview programs for students, serving as judge for competitions and mentoring law students. Jamie has also given her time for probono legal work through the Legal Aid Justice Center Housing Law unit.
Jamie has been selected as a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers and was also selected by Virginia Business as one of Virginia's "Legal Elite". Outside of the practice of law she spends time with family and friends and is also an avid runner.
- Business valuation
- Complex property/asset division
- Child custody/visitation and support
- Collaborative divorce
- Enforcement of existing orders
- Estate planning
- Grandparent/third party visitation
- Modification of existing orders
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- Property Settlement Agreements
- Relocation cases
- Spousal support
- University of Richmond, School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- Juris Doctor - 05/2002
- North Carolina State University
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 05/1999
- Honors: magna cum laude
- The Bar Association of the City of Richmond, Chair, Publications Committee, Member, CLE Committee
- Metro Richmond Women's Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Family Law Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Young Graduates Association
- Executive Committee, Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Participant, Muscular Dystrophy Association Lockup, Spring 2007
- Legal Aid Justice Center, Pro Bono Housing Law Attorney
- Virginia, 2002